Thursday, December 11, 2008

New Blog idea

Ok, I've decided that instead of just writing whatever is currently on my mind I am going to start posting a quote or lyric that has some depth and then either give my opinion on it or tell you what it means to me. Hopefully this will end up being a learning experience for both of us. Please be sure to give me some sort of feedback!! I think that will be just as important as my actual post because if you read my blog I care about your opinion.

TODAY I WILL POST SOME LYRICS
Taken from "Folding The Pages" by Smoke or Fire

"Everybody's hell looks different.
It changes shape, but it never goes away.
In a classroom there's a child with thoughts
of death on his mind.
In a hospital there's an old man looking
back on his life. And I wonder why some
people see the beauty, while others see
the pain."

I like these lines a lot because it really puts the fragility of life into perspective for me from the "big picture" mindset. The first point of view is the "child with thoughts of death on his mind". How many of us have either had suicidal thoughts of our own or dealt with a friend/loved one who was going through a rough stretch and had us worried about their safety? I think back on my early teenage years and feel so lucky to have gotten out with myself and everyone I care about intact. So many people are not that lucky though, and I wonder if they had a chance to go back now and talk to the person they lost (acting as the "old man looking back on his life") maybe they would know how to put things in perspective and help that lost person get through their problems without giving up on themselves.
I also appreciate this thought from the stand point of Joe as the writer. "I wonder why some people see the beauty while others see the pain". Everybody sees both beauty and pain in their lives, but it is really up to the individual to decide what they are going to focus on. This line shows the concern he has for people who can't see the big picture(either temporarily or permanently) and I definitely relate to that concern when I find myself talking a friend though hard times. You want to remind them about better times or do something that will make them feel good, but no matter how great of a thing you do for that person, it is up to them to acknowledge that the world isn't against them and that there is still something worth living for.

2 comments:

Sarah Keane said...

I am trying to leave a thoughtful comment, but I'm watching mission impossible (3) and it's very intense right now. It's hard to concentrate. Mainly I wanted to comment because I want to be blog friends. more substance in the near future.

Sarah Keane said...

oh this is sarah keane