Thursday, August 13, 2009

Being "the bigger man"

High school is a very dramatic time period for most people. I am definitely in that category. I remember many occasions where I would be in some sort of altercation with somebody and, doing as most people do, would ask my friends for advice. It didn't matter how big or small the problem was, I always "knew" that I was right and my opposition was wrong. The last thing I ever wanted to hear was "Be the bigger man." It KILLED me when the person I had turned to gave me such ego blowing advice. I'm a bit older and much wiser these days, and now I understand what it means to suck it up and be the "bigger man". I wish I could go back in time (or at least remember everybody who gave me those words of advice) and thank them for being mature enough and a friend enough to realize that whatever I was so pissed off about really was not that important and the last thing I needed anybody to do was justify my vengeance.

So anyways, here's to true friends who tell you what you might not want to hear because at the end of the day, it's the right thing.

No comments: