Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Somebody please tell me..

Every time I read an article or watch an interview about somebody with some really awesome experiences and talents I step back for a minute and think to myself "why can't I be doing that?" There are some really fucking inspired people running around getting tons of shit done for the greater benefit of humanity or the earth and here I am sitting around stressing about money because I can't even find a job to support myself. It sucks. I just finished reading about a bunch of stuff John Josef has done in his life and I feel like a worthless selfish waste. I don't have any idea how to get involved in the heavy shit he is involved in and he is only one example. I look at professional artists and musicians and everybody who makes livings in those realms and wonder where and how they got their starts. I honestly have no idea. Is that my fault? Do I not do enough on my part to live one of these lifestyles? I don't know! I would do anything to have an opportunity to work in an exciting and interesting career field but I can't even figure out where the front door is. Do most people just luck out and fall ass backwards into these jobs? I can't see how that is the answer. They must start somewhere, but WHERE!? I feel like the real key here is networking with others, but how am I supposed to get that web going if I don't have anyone to network with??? Why am I having such a hard time finding a job? It seems like there should be an endless supply of work when you think about every bottle cap thats been pressed or tv show thats been filmed. WHY CAN'T I SEE THESE DOORS?? I feel like they are invisible to me. Microscopic cracks that other people find when I just see a huge wall. This might be the most frustrated post I've written, but it is also one of the most important to me. Everybody wants to hire someone with experience, but how are you supposed to get experience if you don't have any? fuck dude. I really do not understand how things work, even when they seem so simple. I really hope something comes up in my cards soon because I want to prove to myself and everyone else that I can and will succeed. There will be quiet after the storm!

1 comment:

va said...

Ashton, I don't know what you're talking about. i've always been so impressed with how much you've accomplished. for example, to my right is a framed "Get A Grip" record. That's something to be proud of, a milestone. You've always been really involved in things - bands, and cool odd ball jobs (like the stage set up) - I think you've got a lot to be proud of.

I feel exasperated when I look at the accomplishments as others as well. It's tough - especially to see people my age, right NOW doing things greater and bigger than I've ever even imagined. A lot of it has to do with timing- eventually things will just fall into place. I know that seems like a cop-out, but i'm sticking with it anyways. Sometimes things come from out of nowhere (another cop out but, take this job i'm working now as an example CAR MANUALS? and I love it. more than I ever thought i could.)

just hang tight. maybe hang out on craigslist. also - i know you were asking me about recruiters the other day -- steph found one in NYC that SPECIALIZES in non-profits. Maybe look for one of those? or jump on the Obama campaign for the next few weeks?

love you