Wednesday, April 15, 2009

i love...

I was never one to say "I already have enough friends" or "I've already met all the cool kids around here" and I feel sorry for those who do. My parents taught me that everybody has something bring to the table and that some of the seemingly weirdest people you meet often end up being huge inspirations. In my 22 years of life so far I've had the pleasure to meet dozens of wacky, funny, talented, brilliant, and caring people behind some of the goofiest mannerisms and personalities imaginable.

Richmond is a melting pot for so many different types of people and I bet a lot of its residents aren't even aware of truth in that statement. It's so easy to get tied up in our own clique or scene that we write off people with different ideas or interests with stereotypes like "bike nerd", "hipster", "metal head", "hippie", "frat bro", etc. (sure, sometimes the stereotypes hold up... but it's never a waste of time to find out the truth, and you could be surprised yet at what these types of people have to offer!)

Naturally, I've done my share of judging, and even in the past few years that I've tried to stay conscious of it I'm sure I've missed out on learning things from people because I didn't give them the time of day. I do my best to keep myself open to different people though, and I can say without a doubt that some of my best friends are people I didn't initially think I'd find common ground with.

Some of the most interesting people I've met(or maybe just observed with curiosity) remain mostly anonymous characters in my mind that I might as well have read about in a story. Train hopping punks from shows at the Bonezone or 9 North.... Actors and artists from Richmond's community at parties my parents hosted when I was just a kid... Bostonians I can't explain(if you've ever been, you know what I mean), bike punks at Best Friends Days, Slaughteramas, Polo games, etc..., Soldiers in my National Guard units, and of course all those folks I've interacted with in my travels both near and far.

I love San Diego as a city and I love it even more because it is incredibly diverse and it's all new to me. I have been having a blast meeting new people and seeing how different the cultures out here are from the same ones back East.

This whole experience thus far has been nothing short of exciting.

1 comment:

jenn said...

you are one of the least judgmental people i've ever met. cashing in my airline voucher! my captcha for this comment was "phooloo".