Wednesday, April 29, 2009

that is a good thing

Since we've lived in San Diego my alcohol intake has gone WAY WAY WAY WAY down. phew. Last summer was ragin. I could definitely count on two hands the number of nights I went to bed sober. Of course I knew at the time that what I was doing was pretty unhealthy(NOT TO MENTION COSTLY) but hey, I somehow ended up losing weight and have more or less gotten over the entire concept of drinking=definitely going to have fun. I mean, OBVIOUSLY I still appreciate the taste of a well crafted beer; a good, smooth liquor; and a strong wine, and I'm sure I'll over indulge many more times in the span of my life, but the days of smashing cheap beer after cheap beer on such a regular basis just for the hell of it are over.

That being said, I definitely think being in Richmond drove me to those alcoholic trends and I'm glad that I got out before it became a definite problem. This is pretty much reason numero uno why I want/need all of my friends out of that city. It's just too easy to "stop the clock" and wake up 5, 10, however many years later and say "holy shit, all I have to show for the past X years is a low balance in my bank account and a shitload of empty tylenol bottles." Yes, some of the most awesome adventures and most fun nights I've been involved in were fueled by booze, but already at 22 I'm getting over the ability to do act like that anymore and I don't think drinking HARDER until I lose control again is the right answer, so I'm just going to go ahead and say that I'm burying the shovel.

I mean, the bottom line here is I'm sick of getting hang overs. I don't know how the hell we would drink 40's of malt liquor and bottles of andre all night and then wake up the next morning feeling better than ever. Seriously, what the fuck was different in my body 3 years ago? Oh well, I'm glad because it doesn't give me an excuse to continue that doing that crazy shit. I would've been an alcoholic by 25 for sure if I had managed to keep those trends up.

So yeah, listen to yourself after a long night at the bar when you say "dude this sucks, gotta stop drinking so much" and you'll be a much happier camper.

No comments: